Lorenc Kodheli

Tell us who you are, where you live
kodhel@yahoo.com

Lorenc Kodheli

Post by kodhel@yahoo.com »

I have been looking at Falco website for a long time now. I would like to build it but I don't have a workshop for now.

My first task is to build the workshop.

I live in Walnut Creek, CA.
pete

Lorenc Kodheli

Post by pete »

I built the tail parts, then the workshop, now the fuselage. Also in Walnut Creek. Let me know if you want to come by sometime and see it.

Cheers,
Pete
kodhel@yahoo.com

Re: Lorenc Kodheli

Post by kodhel@yahoo.com »

Hi Pete,

Yes, I would like to see your project at your convenience. It is encouraging to know that you can make progress even without a full workshop.
I have absolutely no space inside the house to work on parts so building sort of enclosed space attached to the house that can provide me enough space is my next project. I am investigating glueing for now.

I read somewhere that for resourcinol a glue line of 0.005" is necessary and clamping pressure is needed. Also the temperature needs to be over 70F for the glue to cure.
How do you guarantee these two conditions glue line and correct clamping pressure?

Thanks,
Lorenc.
pete

Post by pete »

I'm using mostly Aerolite. West system epoxy some places.
Most of the year my shop is warm enough, but I'll heat it if I'm out there all weekend. A lot of the time I tent the part with a canvas dropcloth and put a heater underneath.
KenBird

Post by KenBird »

Lorenc,

Thought I might offer my thoughts on glues/adhesives. There are many opinions out there in the homebuilding community and it can be very tough to find a clear and concise answer. I personally feel that Falco builders, by and large, are generally a little more discriminating and tend to see things through a different lens than some of the other wood aircraft amateur builders out there.

I'd suggest to anyone that wishes to build a Falco that they do their own research with respect to adhesives. This means you may wish to consider testing and trying on your own to determine what works best for you. I've used Aerolite on my build, some West Systems epoxy, but mostly resorcinol. While resorcinol generally requires one to be a little more particular with the fit up, not all resorcinols are created equal. I use Aerodux 185 which is a little more forgiving both in terms of fit up requirements as well as temperature (I live in Canada, it can get a little cool). It is available in the U.S. through Spectrum Adhesives
https://www.cpadhesives.com/woodworking ... lon-bottle
For what it is worth, I've tried three or four different resorcinols and this is by far the best one I've used.

Ken
mschuler

Post by mschuler »

I used T88 as an adhesive and West 105 resin for laminating, coating the interior, and fiberglassing the exterior.
Many builders consider epoxy as the way to go but there is a caution about leaving the airplane in direct sunlight to a point where the surface heats up to extreme levels. The wise will suggest painting in a light colour.
Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott »

I assume everyone is aware of the discussion of glues in Chapter 8 of the Falco Construction Manual. I just went back and read it again. It may be 20 years old by now, but I don’t know of any new information to add.

Alfred
Alfred P. Scott
5407 Patterson Ave, Suite 202B
Richmond
VA 23226

(804) 353-1713
cell: (804) 690-4591
alfred@seqair.com
alfred.scott@me.com
www.seqair.com