Bob Brantley

Bob's Falco now has stripes down the side


N988RP Update

I became the EAA Young Eagles Coordinator for our South Central EAA Chapter 1218 late last year. The Young Eagles is one of our club's priorities. One of our members flew the most Young Eagles's in the month of September. More then anyone in the US. He now has of total of 152 Young Eagles's flown. Should be should consider taking on the program.

The Falco has become very reliable craft. The last annual, December, found no problems whatsoever. Last March I started the FAA Wings program and received my first level wings. I hope to continue to all 20 levels, God willing.

Janet and I flew the Falco out to EMT, El Monte CA, to visit friends in Whitter over the Super Bowl weekend. We have been getting together for the game the last twenty three years. Odd years we visit them and even years they visit us. We decided if weather permitting we would fly out ourselves and not mess with the hassle of a commercial flight. This was the longest cross country for Janet in the Falco and mine except for the flight to bring the plane to Missouri.

We had planned to leave early Friday morning but with the weather cold at 10 degrees I was only able to flood the engine but not get it started. We moved the plane back into the hanger and with the help of friends torpedo heater, we warmed the engine for half an hour and also put a battery charger on to. We finally left around 11:30 a.m.

It's about an nine hour flight to CA including the fuel stops. We were able to make it to Winslow (INW), AZ with the setting sun. We flew on to El Monte on Saturday. We landed with temps in the eighties. I must say that cold temps, under the 30's, seem to be harder on things.

We headed back to Missouri the following Tuesday. Our plan was to stop again in Winslow for fuel and then on to Clinton, OK for the night. Wednesday we awoke to a 200 ft. ceiling in fog, not a SB exclusive we have found out, and had to wait around till 2:00 p.m. before we had broken skies with enough it blue to fly in.

Our destination was reporting 200 ft. in fog but we had hoped that by the time we arrived it would be improved. It wasn't to be. All of southern Missouri was under fog with no let up in sight. We could see that most of the area to the north of us was broken or clear and with the help of Kansas City Center we headed for Coffeyville, KS which was reporting broken 700 ft.

We spent and enjoyable evening there and again woke to fog and 200 ft. ceilings. Another wait at the airport till 2:00 p.m. before takeoff but this time all of Missouri was clear also.

Total time was 19 hours for the round trip. Total time for the Falco is now 122 hours.

The photos are of the Falco with the stripes applied, I think it helps to break up the mass of yellow.

Bob Brantley